10/30/2012

May Lindstrom The Clean Dirt & The Problem Solver


The Problem Solver $90 | 8.45 oz / 250 ml


The Clean Dirt $60 | 6.76 oz / 200ml


May Lindstrom with Yasmina Rossi for May Lindstrom Skin. Screen-captured from Vimeo


I had been dying to try out May Lindstrom products even before SBL carried the line. I stumbled upon her website unknowingly why and was really intrigued by the brand's philosophy of celebrating beauty and far beyond. The products sound very different, in a scrumptiously good way- scrumptious because the ingredients literally smell like Christmas cookies!!!! You will be surprised how exciting the application of the products are- they fizz and puff up like a mousse. Without further ado, lets get onto the two products I have tried: The Clean Dirt and The Problem Solver. 

First Impression 
'Sophisticated Carbon-Black Matte with gold accent'
'Smells like Cacao meets kitchen spices'


I am so overly impressed with the presentation of the website and the packaging. I can talk forever about the design aspect of it because you can tell how pure and unique the products are just from looking at the packaging. Both the website and packaging are very sleek and look luxurious. All the products are contained in MIRON glass containers to preserve the quality of the ingredients. Both cleanser and mask come in powder form, without any unnecessary filler so you get a whole package of beneficial ingredients. Period.


The Clean Dirt aka Cleanser 
'Daily micro-dermabrasion, gentle enough for everyday use'
'Softens and refines'
'My blackheads are getting less and less!'




Claim: Encourage blood flow and increases cell turnover. Soft, plump skin. Refines pores. Diminish blackheads. 

What I Think: The Clean Dirt is actually self-explanatory, except the'dirt' is an energizing mixture of clays, healing salts and warming spices to really draw out impurities to start up your day or to end the day.The texture is gritty, but not as gritty as Tata Harper's Regenerating Cleanser. My skin is usually quite sensitive to exfoliating cleanser/scrubs, but this one is so gentle. It always leaves my skin super soft and conquers rough spots on my chin and parts of my face. My blackheads on my chin, nose and cheeks are getting less and less! 

How I use it? I pour less than a tbs on my hand (the product says tsp but it is not enough to cover my whole face) and add water drop by drop. It's hard to get the right texture at first, but you will get used to it fast. The texture comes out to be paste-like texture. I then apply it to the face, massaging it very gently in circular motions. Leave it sit for 2-3 minutes like a mask and wash with lukewarm water.

One tip from May is to substitute water with coconut oil for drier days. You will get residue from using coconut oil, so to remove it just put a hot wash-cloth over your face a few times and clean. 

How often? It really depends on the sensitivity of your skin and when you really need it- listen to it. The first time I got this, I used it every second day or even less, but now I know that my skin can handle it so I increase to once a day. It is now my everyday cleanser to take off the grime and remove light make-up. 

Expect a slightly hot and tingly sensation when using it. Mixture fizzes and puffs up when in contact with liquid.

Do not use if you have highly sensitive or damaged skin. SBL and the website state that this is a daily microdebarmasion for your skin. Whilst it is true, I think of it more like the Clarisonic but with clay and 'dirt'! SO fun! 




The Clean Dirt: White Halloysite Clay, Red Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, Red Alaea Sea Salt, Ascrobic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Bicarbonate, *Althaea Officinalis (marshmallow) Root, *Rosa Centifolia (Pink Rose), *Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower, *Cinnamomum Zelanicum (Cinnamon), *Myristica Fragans (Nutmeg), *Syzgium Aromaticum (Clove), *Curcuma Longa (Turmeric), *Zingiber Officinale (Ginger), *Vanilla Planifolia Bean, **Theobroma Cacao (Raw Cacao).

*Certified Organic
**Fair Trade Certified

The Problem Solver aka Mask
'The best and most potent purifying mask I have tried yet'


Claim: Purifies and tighten pores. Extinguishes inflammation. Fights & heals blemishes. Jump-start circulation in the epdermis. Detoxifies skin with delightful ease and power.

What I think: The Problem Solver, in a glance, contains similar ingredients but still is different as it is a more potent potion. This jet-black mask is left to harden for 45 minutes or until fully dry and I use this every once in two weeks. I find that my skin is a bit sensitive to it if I use it more often thus drawing away from the benefit. When I use this properly, it gets rid of my whiteheads in an instant and helps with my blackheads too.

May Lindstrom mask half-dried.


How I use it? Get a tiny bowl and scoop less than a tbs of the Problem Solver and add a tbs of water. Mix. It is going to puff up like a true mousse, if it's a bit dry add more drops of water.

How often? I personally use once every two weeks, but recommended once every week for a starter. 

Expect a slightly hot and tingly sensation when using it. Mixture fizzes and puffs up when in contact with liquid.

As you can see, it's really hard to get it dry evenly due to the texture (I used my fingers). Foundation brush will definitely help. A tiny bowl (tinier than the picture) also helps to mix the powder and water easily.

The Problem Solver ingredients: Fuller's Earth Clay, Red Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, **Theobroma Cacao (Raw Cacao), Red Alaea Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Bicarbonate, Bamboo Carbon Charcoal Powder, *Vanilla Planifolia Bean, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower, *Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, ***Boswellia Carteri (Frankincense), *Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), *Archangelica (angelica) Root, *Cinnamomum Zelanicum (Cinnamon), *Myristica Fragans (Nutmeg), *Syzgium Aromaticum (Clove), *Curcuma Longa (Turmeric), *Capsicum Annuum (Cayenne) Pepper. 


*Certified Organic
**Fair Trade Certified
***Wild Harvested



Would I recommend?

Well, of course!! Really, you will love it as much as I do, especially if you're one of those people who like to feel that the products are working on and in their skin when applied. The cleanser can be treated as a daily cleanser or a treatment. The mask can be used anytime you want depending on your sensitivity (twice a week, once a week, once every two weeks, or even less!). I am so happy that I have found products that have helped my complexion big time. It heals a number of blemishes, especially blackheads in an instant but not at all leave the skin taught (I have normal to dry skin and also acne-prone). My forehead which shows * dehydration fine lines* (shame on me!) are already so much better now thanks to this. My skin tone is surprisingly more even too, I never really noticed it until my friend pointed it out to me. The claims are true- not exaggerations, I have tried and ticked all the boxes. I am so gutted to try out her Youth Dew to complement my skin care regime.


Now, I know that May Lindstrom's skin care line can get very expensive but given how phenomenal they work, the products are so priceless to me. Compare Problem Solver to Dr. Alkaitis Masks which contains 4oz for $55 and compare the Clean Dirt to Tata Harper's Regenerating Cleanser which contains 4.1 oz for $75. When you have found a product, no matter how expensive it is, if it works, you will appreciate it.

So what do you think? Will you try out the line? 







About The Brand.. 


May Lindstrom for May Lindstrom Skin screencaptured from Vimeo

Skin is Intimate. Therefore, it is all about you who is willing to be 'Luminous. Vibrant. Glowing. Healthy. Alive. At Ease. How you treat your skin is how you treat yourself and how you move forward each day within the world. Indulge in something special. Indulge in You. Replenish the lack. Heal the damage. Feed the bounty. Seduce your senses with the brilliance of Earth's gifts.' - May Lindstrom

She is a very passionate 'skin chef, beauty anthropologist, conscious epicurean, explorer, life enthusiast, tree-hugger, wife and mother'.

She currently only carries 4 products: The Clean Dirt, The Problem Solver, The Youth Dew, and The Good Stuff. If you want to be on the same bandwagon as I am, purchase her products from May Lindstrom SkinSpirit Beauty Lounge, Nature of Beauty and soon to be on Being Content in the UK and I am Natural Store in Australia. All five websites ship worldwide.

Watch as May Lindstrom applies her products here
Check an amazing review of the whole line by a beauty blogger Britanie here

16 comments :

  1. Asti! What a great surprise to stumble across your wonderful review! I am absolutely thrilled that you are so happy with The Clean Dirt and The Problem Solver and I cannot wait for you to try The Youth Dew. Just an fyi: I do ship internationally now!
    :)
    Warmest wishes,
    May

    Also, my website is www.maylindstrom.com - you had a small typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May, going to write you an e-mail :) so glad you stumbled upon my blog. Sorry you found out this way though, I wanted to write to you personally myself! Will do soon.

      Delete
  2. great post!! I LOVE this stuff! I did an entire review on May's skincare line and I am a huge fan of everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is such a great line isn't it, I feel so lucky just slathering it on my skin. I linked your fantastic post at the bottom of this blog post, I hope you don't mind.

      Thanks for dropping by, Britanie!

      Delete
    2. Hi love! Of course I don't mind- I'm flattered. Thank you so much <3

      Delete
  3. OOh, I need it! Fabulous post Asti! I am loving the images and your blog as well! You look beautiful with a facefull of dirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope the images really help. It is such a fun skin care line to use, I'm confident that you will love it as much as I do. Let us know when you have tried it out, I bet your readers would love to hear all about it.

      Haha thank you! May Lindstrom dirt is definitely the only 'dirt' I feel clean and beautiful in!

      Thank you for dropping by, Taylor.

      Delete
  4. Hi Asti!

    Am so curious yo try May Lindstrom!!! The whole range seems wonderful!!
    Would you recomment these 2 products for dry skin? (I tried the Tata Harper cleanser you mentioned, but was too harsh for my skin, which is dry and sensitive)

    Also, have you tried the face oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara!

      May Lindstrom is such a wonderful line. The ingredients of both products might sound very purifying with the clays and stuff but they are actually very useful to 'liven up' and slough off dry and dull skin, your face will be left so radiant. So I would totally recommend it for people with dry skin.

      If your skin is sensitive, (mine is a bit sensitive), you might find that the combination of the spices can be over-stimulating for the skin. I suggest you to try it out once every two days and see how you go. You may use it once a day but it really depends on your skin. The exfoliating properties are finer and more gentle in comparison to Tata Harper's.

      I have not tried the face oil, no. But I am purchasing it as we speak!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your feedback, Asti!!!

    let us know about the face oil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara! I have been using the facial oil but want to give it enough time to review it, will write all about it later on! :)

      Delete
  6. The Problem Solver seems great. I just commented under the Tata Harper review that I would try her mask next, but after your review I will purchase the May Lindstrom very soon!

    By the way, I have been checking out your blog and enjoying the posts. I see that you recommend Spirit Beauty Lounge. How much is the shipping to Australia?

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Problem Solver is amazing! But you won't regret either if you buy TH mask... they both are really nice in their own way. I find that the problem solver is much more purifying and stimulating for the skin in comparison to TH that feels much more gentle on the skin. Let me know when you have tried either one of them, would love to know what you think.

      Thank you so much, I have been on such a long hiatus because I am on very long vacation but I will get back on track when I'm back in Melbourne! Yes, I used to purchase on SBL because they sell everything that I like on there even though the shipping cost is so pricy, but it arrives rather quickly. Shipping, is depends it can be between 38 - 50 and above depending on how much it weighs. I take advantage of their 20 - 25% sale so the shipping price kind of cancels out.

      Delete
    2. I think I am much poorer now for finding you blog! So I decided to place an order with SBL when they recently had 10% off and purchased The Problem Solver. Only used it once so far and enjoyed it, but hard to see results with only one use so I'll reserve judgement.

      I then bought The Clean Dirt from www.iamnaturalstore.com.au, used it a few times and am really enjoying that too.

      I also got a sample of the Tata Harper mask with the SBL purchase, loved it, and it is now in my basket awaiting another sale/code. I agree, the promotional codes ease the pain of high shipping!

      I am also considering the Vered Balancing Oil with my next purchase and was wondering whether you had tried it? It is aimed at problematic skin and seems to have really good reviews.

      Yvonne

      Delete
    3. Yvonne! I am glad that you are loving the Clean Dirt, it is such a treat isn't it? Let me know how The Problem Solver goes, I think if you love The Clean Dirt you would love the Problem Solver as much too (or even more).

      Tell me about it, shipping cost is such a bummer. There is quite a few websites that sell TH products in Australia but I would rather wait until SBL creates a good discount and buys other products that they carry altogether.

      That is such a coincidence because I also have my eyes on the Vered Balancing Oil. I have never tried it, but it is something that I am very tempted to buy.

      Delete
  7. I was searching for products with Turmeric to brighten and prevent hyperpigmentation. In the last few weeks I have notice areas around the side of my mouth seem to be a just a little tad darker than the rest of my complexion. Don't know how that happened, aging perhaps... *shrug. Tumeric is believed to be the key for hyperpigmentation, so I assume, the May Lindstrom 'Clean Dirt' and 'Problem Solver' would be the right solution. You mentioned that it has helped even your skintone. If I had to pick one, which out of the two do you think is helping you even out your skin tone more? Btw it's nice to meet a fellow Indo beauty blogger. I am no blogger, but I am a Jakarta native with American blood living in LA. It's good to know there are a few of you Indo peeps out there switching to natural beauty! Keep it up! xx

    ~Natalia

    ReplyDelete