10/31/2012

Thoughts on Tata Harper Skincare

Tata Harper formulating Tata Harper Skincare. Credit image to No More Dirty Looks.

I have to admit that I have not had much luck with Tata Harper's products despite the price. I think it leans more towards dry to mature skin. The hero products for me though are the Eye Creme and the mask! I also fell in love with the floral scent that also smells very closely to fruit loops, it smells so therapeutic and doubles as a perfume. Definitely a splurge but if the line works for you, you would be so happy that they actually work. Then again,  just because it's a natural line, Tata Harper should be compared to those *high-end* anti-aging products in the market today as they are retailed for $100 and above for moisturisers. As a side note, I have only tried the little samples which I got for free from Spirit Beauty Lounge except mask and cleanser.

Here is my overall review on most TH products I have tried. Read below for more.


First Impression

Most of the products are contained in semi-transparent green bottles apart from the Regenerating Cleanser. Packaging & design looks very 'green' and 'eco-friendly' and the new look is a big improvement from their old packaging - it reflects the v. high price-point more, no more paper tag that tends to wear off. Products that come in pumps have lock/unlock switch to avoid product from spilling. I definitely could smell that distinctive "Tata Harper" scent as soon as I open up the packaging. Overly fragrant with feminine floral scent that I actually thought it was synthetic but I assure you, it's 100% natural scent!

Cleansers

$50 for 125 ml / 4.1 oz
$75 for 125 ml or 4.1 oz




















Their cleansers are purifying because they contain rose-clay but also non-drying- it's full of waxes! It can be a good thing and a bad thing, but acne-prone skin should be aware. I unfortunately do not get a success from it but I have heard some people with similar skin type as mine, said that either cleanser help to clear up their skin. I find the beads in the Regenerating Cleanser too abrasive for an everyday use - it feels scratchy. On the other hand, the refreshing cleanser contains the same formula but without the beads, perfect for sensitive skin and doubles as an eye-make up remover.

Replenishing Nutrient Complex


$45 for 10 ml or 0.33 oz
Nutrient Complex is basically just like a serum that is oil based. However, according to TH, it is the last step of the ritual (after the toner, serum and moisturiser) as it acts to protect the skin from environmental stress-ors.  It did not break me out but it did not do much for my skin either.

Hydrating Toner

$65 for 50 ml or 1.7 oz or $85 for 125 ml or 4.2 oz 
Hydrating Floral Essence is so lovely! It is a toner, and you better off getting the large size if you love it. It retails for $85 but you save much more than getting a small one. Like described, it is hydrating and the smell is uplifting so good to spray throughout the day. Oily skin might only need this as a moisturiser.

The hero products- in order

Restorative Eye Creme
'this eye cream has changed my perception on eye creams!'
'brightens up and firms.. for real'

$90 for 15ml / 0.5 oz. 

Now, the hero product for me is definitely the restorative eye cream!! I never believed in eye creams as stupid as that sounds because nothing I have tried has really worked for my dark circles. But this product has changed my perception and lives up to its claims. I am this close to purchasing but the high price tag holds me back. It literally is the only eye cream that makes me feel confident without having to use a concealer underneath my eyes. The product claims to firm and brighten and I do find both of them to be true. It also does not budge when I apply a concealer/foundation over as it provides a very smooth and light canvas for the concealer to glide on. It is not as hydrating as Dr. Alkaitis Eye Cream but I prefer this by far. The star ingredient for me is the *eyebright flower* which is pretty self-explanatory!

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, Mangifera indica (Mango) butter, Capriylic/Capric Triglyceride (derived from coconut), Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) hydrosol*, Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) oleosomes, Glycerin (from vegetable origin), Olea europea (Olive) oil*, Cetearyl alcohol (wax derived from grapeseed and wheat), Cetearyl olivate (derived from olives), Sorbitan olivate (wax derived from olives), Leuconostoc ferment filtrate (radish root extract), Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) extract*, Cetyl alcohol (derived from coconut), Borago offficinalis (Borage) flower*, Arnica montana (Arnica) flower*, Euphrasia officinalis (Eyebright) flower*, Calendula officinalis (Calendula) flower*, Pheonix dactylifera (Date) seed extract, Salix alba (Willow) bark extract*, Polygonum fagopyrum (Buckwheat) seed extract, Lavandula stoechas (Spanish Lavender) extract, Narcissus tazetta (Daffodil) bulb extract*, Menyanthes trifoliata (Buckbean) flower extract, Medicago sativa (Alfalfa) flower*, Daucus carota sativa (Carrot) oil, Oryza sativa (Rice) extract*, Sodium hyaluronate (naturally produced fermentation), Aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder*, Galactoarabinan (gum derived from Larch tree), Hydrogenated vegetable oil, Sclerotium gum (derived from root vegetables & corn), Cetearyl glucoside (wax derived from grapeseed and wheat), Cetyl palmitate (wax derived from olives), Sorbitan palmitate (wax derived from soy), Soy peroxidase (derived from soy), Superoxide dismutase (derived from horseradish root), Ethyl alcohol (from corn origin), Natural essential oil blend**

*Organic ingredients
**Fragrances from 100% all-natural clinical grade essential oils
100% of the Ingredients are 100% All-Natural
63.58% of the Ingredients are Certified Organic
26 Active Ingredients

Aromatherapy Scents and Body Oil 



I also got a hold of her aromatic treatments in samples and I find them really useful to travel with. The scents are complex, not monotone like most aromatherapy I have smelled and the good thing is even though each one costs a lot, you can use them as a perfume because they last. The eessential oils used in the aromatic treatments are diluted in Jojoba oil and Sambucus Nigra Fruit extract aka Elderberry. Comes in 3 categories: Stress treatment, Bed-time treatment and Irritability treatment. My favourites are Stress and Irritability, they definitely have helped me to centre myself during stressful times and just feel joyful in general. 

I love her Restorative Body Oil too. The base of the body oil is a mixture of Grapeseed oilSunflower oil and Olive oil. The hydrating power is good, but I have got the same result just from using coconut oil alone. It also sinks in very easily. I am particularly in love with the body oil due to the scent. The scent lasts throughout the day so if I end up splurging on that, their staying power is worth-noting. I wonder if they will bring back their Strengthening Body Lotion? 



Mask
'purging out impurities while being very gentle on the skin'
'multi-tasks as a spot treatment'

$55 for 1 oz
TH mask is amazing. It is so easy to put on, it comes in a sheer pink gel-like texture makes me think of a pair of jelly sandals! The mask is supposed to be left to harden for 20-30 minutes and you can feel it tightening up on your skin- but not in a notorious drying way. The jar is compact making it very travel-friendly and it dries on clear. However, I never noticed the 'immediate' glow effect like it claims but I do love how it tightens up the pores and reduce my acne inflammation. It sometimes visibly stimulates blood flow and lymph circulation that makes me flush but in a pretty way. This 'resurfacing mask' is not only a mask, but also an effective exfoliator with its active Pomegranate enzymes.

Use it as a spot-treatment too.


Ingredients: Water/Eau, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice*/jus de feuille*/, Salix alba (Willow) bark extract/(saule) extrait d'écorce, Sclerotium gum (derived from root vegetables & corn), Lactobacillus ferment, Leuconostoc ferment filtrate (radish root extract/ racine de radis extrait), Hamamelis virginiana (Witch hazel) distillate, Punica granatum (pomegranate) fruit ferment extract/(grenadier) d'extrait de fruits fermentent, Caprylyl/capryl wheat bran/straw glycosides, Maltooligosyl glucoside (derived from carbohydrate syrup), Aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder*/ poudre de jus de feuilles*, Hydrolyzed corn strarch, Beta vulgaris (Beet) root, Hydrogenated starch hydrolysate (derived from corn starch), Fusel wheat bran/straw glycosides, Kaolinite (Rose Clay), Polyglyceryl-5 oleate (naturally derived), Sodium cocoyl glutamate (derived from coconut/dérivé de noix de coco), Glyceryl caprylate (derived from fatty acids of corn, coconut and glycerin), Sodium phytate (derived from rice bran), Essential oil blend clinical grade essential oils/ mélange d'huiles essentielles de qualité clinique; Citral, Citronellol, Limonene

*Ingredients from organic farming/ Les ingrédients biologiques.
*Organic ingredients
100% of the Ingredients are 100% All-Natural
Fragrances from 100% natural clinical grade essential oils
82.18% of the Ingredients are Certified Organic
6 Active Ingredients


Would I recommend?

In my opinion, I personally would feel overwhelmed having to go through the whole cleanse, tone, serum, moisturise, oil and eye cream twice a day! The price point is already high on a single product, I wish that TH products are more multi-tasking- not having a separate serum, moisturiser and oil. It can be necessary for most but unnecessary for others, especially for me. Although products can be used for all skin types with no age restriction, the brand does focus on anti-ageing, thus targeting those with more mature skin. I feel that this skin care line will definitely show maximum result when following the full regime. Therefore, it really depends on why and what you would like to get out of your skin care. If you have mature skin that needs fantastic hydration and protects your skin from environmental stressors I recommend you to try out the whole Tata Harper Skincare. 

If you're like me, just feel like acquiring one TH product, definitely try out the eye cream or the mask. They are. So. Good. 









About The Brand...




Tata Harper at her farm with new product packaging. Credit image to One Part Gypsy Blog


Tata Harper started off creating her products due to her frustration at overly-priced products that contain a number of ineffective 'toxic' ingredients. She realised a niche within the green industry to create a luxurious anti-ageing skin care line with full benefits, so she created it. Her products contain 6 to 30 active ingredients that work synergistically with the skin, offering a variety of anti-ageing benefits. The process from start to finish are hand-made done in Vermont at her very own farm. Each one of the ingredient is all grown at the farm to assure high quality standard and keep the products as fresh as possible. 

Have you personally tried the line? Which products are you mostly interested in and why? 

I am suscribed to Tata Harper Skincare Blog and so far so impressed with their posts. They are always so informative and never at all try to rub their skin care line. I also enjoy watching the interview of TH by Vogue.It - Her home has a vintage feel to it and it is just so gorgeous! (Plus, Tata is looking so radiant).






Images of products are courtesy of Spirit Beauty Lounge. I have not tried Tata Harper moisturizers. 

6 comments :

  1. Am very curious about the eye cream, i am looking for one that can help with my dark circles!!
    So far, I only tried samples of this brand.
    I have tried the Regenerating Cleanser and was quite harsh for me.

    I have also tried samples of the Serum and Moisturizer, which I liked.
    I have a sample of the mask, but haven't tried it yet...
    Maybe I will splurge for the full size of the Serum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eye cream is crazy good! dark circles run in my family (although not so bad), so I thought they are going to be forever like that. However, once I tried TH's eye cream, I was so surprised that it reduces the darkness and actually brightens up the eye area.

      The mask is amazing! It is so gentle but effective at getting rid of blemishes. Try it out and let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, the eye cream sounds so good!!
    I have inherited dark circles, too!!! My mum has quite dark ones; mine are not so bad (i also have a few lines), so I am trying to prevent it!

    Will definitely let you know about the mask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope they both are going to work out for you, love them so much!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the very informative review. A few months ago I was very interested in trying out the Tata Harper brand due to all the raves it had received from various people profiled in one of my favourite blogs - Into the Gloss. However, when I researched the products a bit more online quite a few people commented that the line was very overpriced and not really worth the hype.

    My interest in the brand has certainly waned since then. However I found your review useful and when I finally get around to finish all my facial masks, I'll certainly try the Resurfacing Mask. I need something effective to get rid of my blemishes!

    Regards,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you have found the review helpful. I have not tried any of the moisturisers or serum but I heard they're great for dry to mature skin. Yes, TH has been getting a lot of nice press reviews lately and I am not surprised. It is such a luxurious line of anti-ageing and it performs. I think that the line won't disappoint if you're expecting to something in that category rather than me who is looking to 'solve' problematic skin or sensitive skin.

      Delete