3/06/2013

3 natural deodorants that I have tried


Courtesy of Spirit Beauty Lounge


Finding a natural deodorant has definitely been a venture for me. Not only it must be effective, but just because it is natural, it still has a potential to cause irritation for my underarms. As an example, I am easily irritated by baking soda which is the main ingredient in many of natural deodorants nowadays. Below, are my top 3 natural deodorants that I recommend to try out. 2 of them contain baking soda which I have mentioned before, but it is worth a shot to try out if you are not sensitive to it. 


1. Soapwalla Cream Deodorant

simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) oil, rosehip seed oil*, butyrospermun parkii (shea) butter, corn starch*, sodium bicarbonate*, kaolin clay, vegan kosher glycerin*, essential oils (lavandula angustifolia (lavender)*, melalleuca alternifolia (tea tree)*, citrus sinensis (sweet orange)*, mentha piperita (peppermint)*, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot)). 

*Certified Organic. 

Soapwalla is one of the cleanest deodorant you will ever find in the market today. Not only it is the most natural, it is also very effective in removing bad armpit odours. Although it does not claim to be anti-perspirant, I find that it helps to regulate it a little bit. The consistency is kind of gritty which might be due to the shea butter, but it goes on very creamy when applied. Just make sure that your armpits are dry and you wait around for a little bit until it is fully absorbed before you go about. 

The scent a bit bothers me though, it smells deep like herbal probably from the tea tree essential oil. But other than that, this cream deodorant is a must try. Unfortunately, the baking soda caused really bad irritations on my armpits after 1 1/2 week of use. I would love it if Soapwalla makes another version that does not contain it. 

I bought mine at Spirit Beauty Lounge for $14. 

2. Dr Hauschka Deodorant Floral 

water/aqua, alcohol, triethyl citrate, glycerin, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, fragrance/parfum, zinc ricinoleate, bentonite, melia azadirachta leaf extract, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, geraniol*, limonene*, citronellol*, citral*, linalool*, benzyl bencoate*, eugenol*, benzyl alcohol*, farnesol*, benzyl salicylate*, hydrogenated jojoba oil, sucrose laurate, cetearyl alcohol, lecithin, sodium magnesium silicate, xantham gum, citric acid, rosa damascena flower oil. 

*component of natural essential oils 

I am not sure why I picked up the Floral one instead of the Fresh one because I really love the Fresh scent as this one smells cloying to me. I just don't find it to be a really refreshing-just-comes-out-of-the-shower smell, instead it's kind of rancid. But then again, this deodorant helps with the bad armpit odour AND the sweating as well. I am also very surprised that I don't get any irritations from using this after waxing knowing that this contains a few kinds of alcohols. What I am disappointed with is that I think it might have darkened my underarms areas a little. The consistency is also of a lotion, it is not transparent so it does not dry clear. However, it does not leave a stain and it would vanish as the day goes on. 

This deodorant is contained in a glass jar, whilst it looks luxurious, it can be pretty hefty to travel with. The price is also an expensive purchase for a deodorant, it is more or less $25 depending on where it is sold. 

3. Crystal Essence Chamomile & Green Tea

water/aqua, potassium alum, hydroxyethyl-cellulose, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, sodium bicarbonate. 

This deodorant is made out of natural mineral like potassium alum (rated 1) and sodium bicarbonate (rated 0) while being infused with the calming aromas of chamomile and green tea. It claims to be long lasting to remove body odor 24 hours, non-sticky, non-staining and leaves no white residue. 

I bought this for $4.75 at The Jeneral Store but it is pretty easy to find at your local whole food stores or online health food stores such as Iherb or VitaCost for cheaper. Honestly, this is the best deodorant I have ever tried whether it is natural or non-natural. I fell in love with the soft sweet scent of chamomile and green tea and lasts throughout the day for me. Before going natural, I am a big fan of Mark & Spencer's deodorants because they come in beautiful floral and fruity scents that I love and this reminds me of them. 

I am very very happy with how well this deodorant performs because it goes on transparent, dries quickly... and when I thought Dr. Hauschka was as good as a natural deodorant could get, this beats it. I cannot vouch for its 24 hours long-wear but what I can say is that it works well from the moment I apply this deodorant after morning shower until I come home at night. It is definitely not anti-perspirant but it helps to regulate my sweating. I was a bit wary of the baking soda, but I have been using it for about 3 weeks without any irritation even after waxing. For the price, I think this is a must try. I absolutely recommend!! 

It comes in 2 other scents: Lavender & White Tea and Pomegranate. I have smelled them all and they are delicious!!

4 comments :

  1. Hello

    I have also used these products but these are working perfectly and I have bought these products from naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Which scent did you get?

      Delete
  2. Hi Asti ! I am currently trying out Toms deo. It works for a couple of hours and am sorta happy with it. And its very inexpensive ! The crystal ones never worked for me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Archana. I have never heard of a deodorant called Toms deo. I will try it when I see it! :) Thanks.

      Delete