3/31/2013

How do you consume your coconut oil?


I'm pretty sure you have heard many many times the discussion on coconut oil. It is included in many skin care products because of its highly moisturising property for all skin types. It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and many more that is beneficial even for acne-prone skin. A make up line such as RMS Beauty is boasting with raw coconut oil that gives your skin such a beautiful glow and hydration (combined with other ingredients). It also acts as a preservative in RMS products because of those properties.

Personally, I use coconut oil to take off my make up (when I have ran out of my normal make up remover) as it melts into such a silky texture on the skin. When I cleanse with it, there is no need to actually moisturise afterwards. It gives such a nice moisturise film on my face, and gives it a healthy a glow the next day. There is no doubt that I would always have a supply of coconut oil in my home due to its millions benefits.

I am writing this post because I want to ask you guys, do you internally take coconut oil as your daily 'supplement'? If so, how do you take yours?

I have been consuming it daily now, sometimes straight up from the jar (3 teaspoons daily throughout the day) and other times in my cooking, my hot beverage or my smoothies. When consuming it just like that, especially me who have only just started a couple of weeks, I get an upset stomach. My tip for a starter is to take a minimum dose (in accordance to your body weight), and never take it with empty stomach. I have also tried other 'beauty' oils and experienced a similar thing. Therefore, start slow and build up until you think it is good to do so.

'Coconut oil contains two powerful anti microbial agents in capric acid and lauric acid. Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti protoza properties.' (source). As I am typing this, I am indulging in my green tea that I have mixed with coconut oil. No sweetener, just tea and coconut oil. The taste of the coconut oil (I use RAW & organic coconut 'butter' by Loving Earth) is actually very light that it does not interrupt with the green tea taste but adds a bit of sweetness to it. I love it! Just don't mix it in when the tea is too hot or else the oil will get too hot and scald your tongue. Do it when it's warm enough. I mixed 1 tsp tsp in there. Oh, my lips are also getting so moisturised as I'm drinking this.


Other ways is to put it in the salad. I recently made this tarragon salad that I got from Jamie Oliver book and mix coconut and olive oil in. You can barely taste it, probably because tarragon is very aromatic in the first place. But it was so very delicious! Replacing your usual cooking oil with it is also great.

Why consume coconut oil?
- An all around beauty oil inside and out: improves skin tone, improves dry itchy skin, heals and reduces acne, adds health and shine to hair and nails, reduce the appearance of stretch marks (your skin is more hydrated thus also prevents) (source)
- Promotes weight loss and also maintains your weight as it is detoxifying; balances digestion and nourishes all cells in the body (source)
- A good fat - it is a saturated fat which means that it is needed to absorb all the nutrients (source)
- Supports your immune system, boosts your thyroid to help with metabolism, energy and endurance (sourcesource 2)
- Maintains oral health and it has been discussed if it could actually combat food decay (source)
- Have a positive impact on blood sugar control and can improve insulin use within the body (source ).
- and ect!!

But, can coconut oil be bad for you? It has been a long controversy, as always, two sides. I believe everything must be taken in moderation and everyone's body is different so it's best to talk to an expert for a guarantee. Saying that, it is a very good 'fat' as it is saturated and is made up of medium chain triglycerides that your body find the easiest to metabolize. You must only use virgin coconut oil, and preferably organic and raw. Products can say coconut oil but if it is not virgin, it is trans fats which are bad news to your 'good' cholesterol (it prevents your body's natural ability to utilize HDL), and good news to your 'bad cholesterol (increases the level which can be bad for your heart) (source).

So, how do you take yours?

4 comments :

  1. I've started cooking almost everything in it. I use virgin, raw, organic, and fair trade coconut oil to make most of my food which is also dairy-free, soy-free, and unprocessed. For my skincare, I also use it as a makeup remover, to moisturize my body when just out of the shower, as a shaving cream, and sometimes as a hair mask when mixed with castor oil and a little tea tree oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle!

      That's great that you have been using coconut oil daily. It is such a wonderful oil, isn't it!

      Thanks for the hair mask recipe inspiration, will try that out.

      Delete
  2. Dermessence has most essential nutrients that this formula has and that act directly and indirectly in combating again signs from the inside out. for more information please visit http://www.newfitnessbooster.com/dermessence/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dermessence has most essential nutrients that this formula has and that act directly and indirectly in combating again signs from the inside out. for more information please visit http://www.newfitnessbooster.com/dermessence/

    ReplyDelete