3/28/2013

Volumizing Hair Care & do you like scalp massages?



A hair with volume? Yes, I want that. I have never really gone into depth with my hair care routine, not that I ever had an exciting one but I feel the need to talk about it since ever I have been using John Master Organics deep scalp treatment for the past few weeks. Long story short, my hair is quite thin, falling out, and I want volume.


Shampoo + conditioner

Rahua Volumnious hair care line. Purchasing the duo was definitely a complete splurge for me. I wanted a clean hair care line that truly volumizes my hair and gives my hair that lightweight feeling. I ordered the trial size (which includes their original formula) and initially fell in love with the instant volume, hydration and lightness that my hair wants and needs. I tried to hold back for a week of use but I could not.. I must.. buy it (and Beauty Bay was holding a 20% sale). So I did. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that it actually irritated my scalp, not sure why it just smells too.. essential-oily. It also stopped working its magic when I bought it. So right now, I'm just using it up until it's finished.

When my hair feels a bit dry, I use their original formula which deeply hydrates my hair. It's not that I cannot stand the scent of *that motor oil*, I actually quite enjoy it.. but it makes my nose so incredibly itchy that I cannot stop sneezing.

Shampoo ingredients: aqua, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract*, rosmarius officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, rubus idaeus (raspberry) leaf extract*, aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, coco betaine, sea salt, glycerin, saccharum officinarum (molasses) extract, glycine, caprylic acid, oenacarpus bataua (rahua ungurahua) oil, potassium sorbate (plant derived), busera graveolens (palo santo) oil, citric acid, panthenol, hydrolyzed quinoa, tocopherol (vitamen e). 
*certified organic. 100% natural, 70% organic

Conditioner Ingredients: aqua, herbal infusion of camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract and cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, behentrimonium methosulfate (colza oil), glycerin, stearalkonium chloride (plant derived), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, ungurahua oil (oenocarpus bataua), glyceryl stearate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic acid, glycine, hydrolyzed wheat protein, mixed tocopherol, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, panthenol, hydrolized oat protein, citric acid, potassium sorbate.


After washing my hair.. 

When my hair is still wet and clean:

I use the John Master Organics Deep Scalp Treatment! I didn't expect it to be a miracle for I didn't my excessive hairfall or volumizing at all. But it did, and it's still going strong (I am going to have a detailed review on this later). I love it. It is such an easy thing to use, no need to mask your hair.. you just spray it and massage your scalp. I love love scalp massage and have been obsessed with it for ages. I looked up online how to scalp massage properly and the Wikipedia How gives a pretty thorough guide but easy to follow with pictures! You can choose to massage with oil (to add moisture) or a treatment product like John Master Organics designed for the scalp.. OR doing a dry scalp massage here which has been explained by Jodie on Kora Organics blog.

What are scalp massage useful for? (source)

- Help you relaxed. It actually gives my hair that lightweight, healthy and rejuvenated feeling after I do it.
- It relieves headache if you do it properly.
- Just like any other type of massages, it will improve the circulation of the skin.
- Encourages hair growth as it helps to strengthen the root of the hair, also prevents from enviromental toxins and weather conditions so it protects your follicles!
- and many more

When my hair is still damp..

I love using Yarok Leave-in Conditioner Feed Your Ends. This is the first product I have ever tried from Yarok and it smells so soft. The citrus note is not overpowering like in Rahua. I use this when I am combing my hair to detangle. It is actually meant to be used as a heat protectant when you use your heat styling products but I don't use it. Anyway, I spray this generously on damp hair, and comb through.. it makes combing SOO much easier for my hair that is easy to get tangled. I personally love it most because when it's dry, I can see that it hydrates my hair JUST enough and does not weigh it down at all.

Ingredients: vitamin water, jojoba oil*, olive oil*, grapeseed oil*, apricot oil*, evening primrose oil*, fatty acids, plant sourced xantham gum/potassium sorbate, essential oils of rosemary, litsea cubeba. 
*certified organic

Styling Products

1. Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Yes, yes, the first 3 ingredients. Butane, Propane, Isobutane (rated between 4 and 5 on Skin Deep). They are the ingredients used for aerosol products. This dry shampoo is one thing that I am trying to move on from so bad. I have had a good look at the DIY versions.. natural & greener versions.. but sometimes it gets scary when I think they won't work. My hair is prone to oiliness on the 2nd day, I really like to keep it fresh and it becomes one of my biggest pet peeves (including non-waterproof mascara and eyeliner) so a REALLY good dry shampoo that lasts all day is needed. Whilst it is the best of the best for me, volumizes + refreshes my hair.. I am more than happy to try out natural options out there such as these Lulu Organics or the one by Acure.

Ingredients: Butane, Propane, Isobutane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch (Oryza Sativa Starch), SD Alcohol 39-C (Alcohol Denat.), Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil (Avena Sativa Kernel oil), Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclodextrin, Cyclomethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Isopropyl Myristate, Silica. 

2. Rahua Volumnious Spray

While I have not had much luck with the Volumnizing duo by Rahua.. I quite like this spray. I have very straight hair and while it won't hold your waves that well, it gives it kinda wavy texture after you give ends of your hair a bit of a crunch. I have to be careful with spraying these though.. I try to avoid my scalp/skin as much as I can. It is nice but I won't be repurchasing it for these reasons, I might be a bit sensitive to the aromatic ingredients used. Other than that, it is what it is. It is an amazing refresher too, smells like citrus!

Ingredients: purified water, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel extract*, cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract*, zea mays (corn) silk extract*, linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed extract*, saccharum ofiicinarum (sugar cane)*, lavandula angtstifolia (lavender) oil*, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil (limonene)*, tabebuia impetiginosa bark extract, citric acid, sodium chloride, pyrus malus (apple) pectin. 
*certified organic 



Let me know what are your favourites hair duo (shampoo + conditioner) that volumnizes your hair, and do you use natural dry shampoo that you have found effective?

On a completely unrelated note: this gloomy day is making me so cheery! Thank goodness for rain (I'm probably going to regret saying this). And I made pesto yesterday using my home-grown basil leaves. It was a bit sad but satisfying at the same time. 

11 comments :

  1. I purchased the Rahua Voluminous duo in sample sizes and initially I liked them but the shampoo then started to disagree with my scalp (my scalp is quite sensitive anyway). The conditioner is lovely though.
    I really like the John Masters treatment, I was surprised at how effective this is.

    Shampoo is the most difficult for me to find in a natural range but ones I like are the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic and Evolve's Multi-Protein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the same boat with you. My hair literally was boasting with so much volume and lightweightness when I first used it but it then just went.. not blergh but normal. I was also surprised with the John Masters treatment, it definitely goes to my repurchasing list. I also love ease of use of it.

      I have not tried both products, but interested in trying out the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic, great price although does not claim to have any specific benefit. Will look into the brand Evolve (didn't know they had hair care line), thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  2. The JM Scalp Treatment sounds great! My favorite shampoo/conditioner are Acure's argan ones. I don't specifically look for voluminizing products, but I think these do a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should try the JM scalp treatment! I bought it when it was on sale, so it was at a great price too. So convenient to use. Let me know if you're going to try it, would love to hear what you think of it :)

      I have tried the Acure shampoo&conditioner for thinning hair but didn't find it to be helping a lot. Although, yes I have heard so many great reviews on the Argan ones. Will try it out someday, thank you!

      Delete
  3. This sounds great. I'm trying to add volume to my hair. Right now I've been oiling my hair at night with virgin coconut oil and it's helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! There seems to be almost nothing that coconut oil cannot do. I have tried masking coconut oil for my hair, it is quite nice but I am just so lazy to get the oiliness off afterwards (because my hair is not too dry). But glad that it is working out so well for you. Definitely try John Master treatment, I am so loving it.

      Delete
  4. I second Caitie on the Acure's argan shampoo/conditioner--really hitting the spot with cold East Coast weather, and maybe by the time summer hits in the States I'll be ready to try some of Acure's less moisturizing duos. I've been using Acure's dry shampoo as well, and I find it works pretty well! I shampoo/condition every other night, dry shampoo on the second morning, and have actually been getting away with hair down even on the second day without looking too greasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, I am going to try out the Acure's dry shampoo then! It is a really good price in comparison to Lulu Organics too. :)

      Yes, I have definitely read sooo many good reviews with the Argan hair duos, I am very curious now. I have tried the volumizing duo but didn't do much to my hair. Saying that, my hair is pretty hard to negotiate with in the first place, but I have seen many good reviews on the volumizing line too. Let us know when you have tried the other range!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to try the JM Scalp Treatment. My hair used to be really thick and heavy, but now is somewhat sparse, especially along my crown and center part due to stress-related/hormonal hair loss. I've been trying to get back to normal for over a year now, mainly through diet, Viviscal supplements, and de-stressing. Combined with a few gray hairs I basically have the hair of a woman in her mid-40s instead of her late 20s. My shampoo of choice is Pura d'or Hair Loss Prevention Organic Shampoo alternated with Jason Thin To Thick Extra Volume Shampoo. The latter really does give me a noticeable amount of volume afterward. I don't use conditioner or styling products but I do a hair mask once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elle, you have to try the JM scalp treatment. I love it! Let me know when you do.

      That's good that you have been trying to rebalance by feeding your body first. Sometimes, we forget that our body has all the capabilities to heal how we look on the outside.

      I have never tried those shampoos, I will have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  6. Do you want to take in more about scalp treatment, then head off to Scalp treatment Delhi webpage on how one can select the top irritated scalp and dandruff for your needs and what it can accomplish for you.

    ReplyDelete