8/06/2013

How I have kind of saved my skin in the summer



Following this post by Hippie Luxe about "Oil + Water = Moisturiser", I thought I would add my experience since that's what I have been applying to my skin. Obviously, summer is the time to complain for me. Cleansing has became the most important routine ever since sweat and oiliness are just a big no no for congested skin like me. Sometimes though, I love the natural 'dewiness' from humidity, but if you're in the city I don't think it's something I should even consider. So, this type of condition likes to throw off the skin balance I already had. I did not stock up my Clean Dirt which I realize is my savior for congested skin. I have experimented with a fair bit of products and 'techniques' here and there, and so far mixing oil and water has been the most successful.

So in summary of Hippie Luxe's article, your cream moisturizer is normally simply water and oil mixed together and binded by an emulsifying agent which will hold that nice creamy texture. Keep in mind that emulsifying agent can derive from vegetable or petrochemical sources. But if you want to do something that is as easy as 1,2,3 you can create your own instant moisturizer! Right?! What to do when your facial oil or cream is too heavy but your toner is too light? By choosing your favorite facial oil and facial mist, mix them together and apply the mixture to the skin like how you would normally. You will notice how easy and lightweight the new texture is. It feels like a 'dense' version of a toner which I find so perfect for the summer. You can obviously choose the density of your new moisturizer, I typically spritz 2x of facial mist onto my hand.

Whilst I simply love using my facial oil at night, during the day it's not the same. I first was suggested this idea by Audra James (oh seriously she's like a skin's whisperer)! Hippie Luxe also suggests that you could simply use purified water in replacement of facial mist. Although I miss the straight-up facial oil, this type of method acts as a more moisturizing toner to my skin but not too heavy either that it would clog my pores. I must say that it feels different than simply spritzing the toner on your face then apply the facial oil. This method seems to tighten my skin in a good way and my skin just seems to like it better. I love how it absorbs and it does feel silkier. Summer skin problem = facial oil won't absorb well!

To top it off, my day routine also consists of applying RMS Beauty "Un" Cover-Up in the shade 33 as a concealer. I treat it almost like a creamy moisturizer since that's what my skin loves during the day. It doubles as a concealer AND foundation and honestly, while it feels super hydrating (which I was scared of at first) I never find it clogging my pores. The 'moisturizing toner' prepares a silky canvas for the 'Un' Cover-Up to glide on. I find that despite the creaminess of "un" cover-up it could still accentuate pores and dry patches if skin is not properly moisturized beforehand. 

9 comments :

  1. If you like a floral water mixed with oil then you should check out Raw Gaia...where abouts are you based again Asti?

    Mayah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mayah!

      I am based in melbourne australia i think eve organics stocks raw gaia! I am a bit overwhelmed about which products i should try out first,, any recommendation? Were you talking about their beauty spray? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh amazing! That's how I felt, so much of it looks great but in the end I ordered trial sizes of their clays and beauty spray. They aren't quite for my skin type but I can imagine you'd really like the beauty spray because it's really lightweight moisture and sinks in straight away

      Delete
    3. Oh their beauty sprays! What a lovely collection they have, thank you for the recommendation <3

      Delete
  2. I normally mix my oil with pukka rosewater, do other people not use oils in this way? Also like to mix a drop or two of oil with aloe vera gel, instant gel moisturiser. Aloe Vera juice for drinking ( as long as it doesn't have many additives, again I use pukka) also works well instead of water. My skin doesn't really like many moisturisers, so that is what I have been doing most of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! I'm not sure but it's a method that never came across my mind until this summer! :) That's interesting with the Aloe Vera gel, would love to try that. Pukka Rosewater is also a great one I have repurchased it twice.

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea. I have skin on the drier side so often mix my oil with my moisturiser for an added kick :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be trying it because I do find that my skin is looking too shiny during the day from using a morning oil. I love the dewy look but certainly not the oily look!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw Gaia Beauty has two moisturizers and a facial cleanser that is built on this idea. I've tested their MSM Beauty Spray in the summer and was really liking the lightness of oils. Also their Skin Divinty cleanser is one of the best I've used, and I love the idea of a spray clenaser that you can also leave on. Right now I would love to test their new Organic Hemp Heaven Glow Spray, for I loved the original Hemp Heaven moisturizer, which I'm trying to make myself actually.
    Their products are okay with price, but with the shipping it becomes a bit off putting, and they are hard to find. So instead I try replicate their recipes haha
    And sorry if I sounded like I was marketing Raw Gaia, they were the first thing to pop up in my head on the subject of oils and water. :)

    I also want to say I truly enjoy your blog, found you via Nephriticus and been trying to read it all through!

    ReplyDelete