7/22/2014

Sneak Peek Into My Mum's Bathroom!

My mum complained about not finding an effective skincare line that addresses to her skin concerns and I think switching into using natural & organic product is not a coincidence. It has been two years now and she said she would never go back to using her usual Body Shop products. Her skin honestly looks better and natural & organic products only proves that it can be absolutely effective as well!


She uses Amala Brightening Skincare line + Rejuvenating Serum. She loves Dr. Alkaitis eye cream and LBF Healing Mask. 

My mum's first love affair was Dr. Alkaitis but it does not correct the brown spots caused by sun damage on her cheeks. Although she was always using a daily SPF, SPF of 20 under Middle East blistering sun is simply not enough. She was wondering if there was a product that could address to her biggest issue? Note that her skin is mature which is dry but rarely flaky and she also has medium-sized pores that are easily clogged (her skin is quite clear and smooth with rosy cheeks tbh /jealous). Jumping into Amala Brightening products was quite a *gamble* because of the price and lack of reviews. However, we have been shopping at Spirit Beauty Lounge a lot and knowing that they only stock high quality with high efficacy products, we trust their judgement on product selection. Honestly, the Brightening products work wonders for her brown spots! She went to Maldives awhile back and the SPF she used was also simply not enough (I think she just had wayyy too much fun there and forgot these little things) and her spots came back. She used the Amala Brightening concentration again (the HERO product!!!) and within 2 weeks, they were already diminishing. She likes that it is so lightweight and in a gel form. However, the Amala brightening does not deliver enough hydration for her skin but we contacted SBL which recommends her to keep using the Brightening range and then switching into Rejuvenating line after her issue has been addressed.  



Unfortunately, SBL does not deliver Amala products internationally anymore and thus we are looking for an alternative line that sounds similar to Amala. I told her to try Sodashi personally because I love most of the stuff they make -the moisturizer and the serum (oil) are the best!-. She has only begun using the cream and boost and she likes the consistency of both although the boost is slightly too strong with essential oils. (I also have the same opinion on the boost overtime). Worth mentioning that a favorite cleanser of hers is The Honey Mud. she swears by the Honey Mud for making her skin dewy and rosy whenever she cleanses with it. The Problem Solver is also her favorite mask to ease off any skin discoloration! She does not get on well with the rest of May's line mainly because she prefers the conventional 3-step process with the creams and gels.

My mum is very consistent and actually straight-forward when it comes to skin care. I really need to learn from her, without a doubt! For body care, she is not too fussy. She has been using Talullah Jane body oils for ages that she grew a bit bored of it now. But there's this all natural body oil we got from a souq, it smells.. a bit persian and fruity and one of the ingredients is melon oil. The Little Alchemist is also releasing its body serum soon. Natalie sent me a few samples and I gave Lime & White Tea to my mum. Love the thick consistency, perfect for dehydrated body skin!

15 comments :

  1. Love your mom's beauty bag! I wish I could be more consistent in my skin care routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I think being consistent is the key to having a clear skin. It is tough to be swayed away by all these amazing products, I think I'm doing better and I hope you will too!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely routine! I've only used the Brightening toner from Amala, but I was impressed by how well even that one product worked at fading scars/dark spots. I always figured the whole range would be awesome :) Too bad SBL has stopped shipping the line internationally, though it looks like you're on the right track finding other great things to replace them with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitie. I've always envied my mum's no-fuss skincare routine. Although it seems like a lot of products, there none that she would not use. Glad that you like the brightening toner from Amala, I remember reading your review on it and put it on my own wishlist right away since it's one of my skin concerns too. Are you thinking of re-purchasing it?

      Delete
  3. It's lovely seeing what your mum uses, the Amala range sounds really great, I will have to look into that. Also Content Beauty - www.beingcontent.com stock Amala and they ship internationally too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meeta, I totally forgot that Being Content stocks it thanks for reminding me! We will definitely try ordering from them in the future. Amala Brightening range is potent stuff, expensive but works quickly! There's not much reviews on any of the line but seeing how well my mum's skin reacts to it, I am keeping my eyes open for the other products.

      Delete
  4. Being consistent is not easy, I confess - that happens either on my skincare routine or products which I'm supposed to use for considerable time in order to take effect. It's a great post, Asti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skin looooves consistency.. and it's easy to be swayed away by many amazing products out there. Not sure if it's overly obsessive or not but I actually do make a written timetable for my skincare routine knowing how easy I can be to be tempted by new products. Thanks for the kind word :)

      Delete
  5. Great post! I enjoyed reading it. How I wish my mom would be like her. She def know how to care for her skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, she is very consistent and it shows from her skin. I love watching my mum taking care of her skin too - that detail of patting the skin while she puts on the moisturizer ahhh! -.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed having a peek at your mum's beauty basket. I have the Amala Hydrate Treatment Oil which I like. However, I am currently loving the Pai Rosehip Oil for pigmentation issues. I know you used to use Pai - has you mum tried the rosehip or their Echium Age Confidence Oil?

    For body oils/serums, apart from the ED4OLO Vit C body oil I highly recommend Osmia - their scents are lovely and the oils sink straight into damp skin. Unfortunately shipping can get expensive.

    Cheers,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good things to be said about the Hydrate Treatment Oil. Maybe I will get her try that in the future when weather is drier. Do you use that often or occasionally? And Ah yes Pai rosehip! My mum hasn't tried Pai products -it's hard to get her mix and match brands- but I think if she was, she will be quite keen on the rosehip like I am :) you just made me miss that oil.

      Thanks for the recommendation Yvonne, I MUST try Osmia body oils at some point. However, have you tried Tonic Temple body oils? They're from New Zealand, packaging + size + price + scent + ingredients are pretty stellar.

      Delete
    2. I was using the Amala everyday (AM) but since discovering Pai, I only use it occasionally now. I love Pai so much I have been using it AM and PM most days.

      You must try Osmia! I'm sure you would love it - they have so many scents that there would be one to suit everyone. My favourites are Stream and Light.

      I'm off to have a look at the Tonic Temple website now... :)

      Delete
  7. Your mom has the most beautiful routine (props to you)! Glad to hear the Amala brightening line worked well for her (too bad about SBL, but did I see something about Content Beauty? :D)--there's not much out there about this line and I've been curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade. Likewise, you have converted your mum and your sister too on this green journey right?! I would love to see their favorite green beauty products too :)

      Despite the price, Amala brightening line did well for her skin, sooo well. I remember Genuine Glow made a review about the mask too. And yes indeed Content Beauty stocks it yay!

      Delete