10/28/2014

October Favorites




Beauty Favorites:



Dyptique Geranium Perfume


Although it's not a natural/green brand, I am obsessed with this mighty-fine perfume and most importantly.. it does not give me a headache. Dyptique always has its ways of getting itself to me. This one might smell like a straight-up Geranium but combined with a refreshing bergamot, pink peppercorn, tonka bean and vetiver.. it becomes a floral fragrance that is slightly woody and musky. It's a bit of a neutral scent for me because it feels right to wear it whatever the mood is. I was given this as a birthday present just last month, and you can see how very obsessed I am with it. Their Lavender one is also so good but it's spicier with the coriander note which I'm not brave enough to wear.

Indah Zen Balm

The weather has been funny, like really funny. It is sunny, and then it rains. Sometimes I forget if it's spring or it's fall. When the weather is looking gloomy and I feel down, I apply Zen balm to my pulse points. If you love the scent of grounding cardamom and such, you will love this one especially under your scarf or inside your blanket. It is so warming, comforting and transports you to an instant state of calm. I have actually hit pan on this one!

Inika Highlighting Cream

I love this highlighting cream so much. I consulted with Samanjha from Embody Boutique and told her about RMS Living Luminizer being too frosty against my skin coloring and tone. I also did not like its sticky feeling on my skin and the fact that it caused congestion. The inika one however, is a smooth light cream that is not sticky, balmy or gooey.. but it still leaves a nice sheen without being overly sparkly. Yes, the glitters are slightly more apparent than RMS but I love its peachy tone color that plays well on my coloring. Samanjha has actually compared it to Kjaer Weis' one.

Nuxe Lip Balm

I'm cheating here but this lip balm has replaced my sticky routine of applying honey on my lips nightly. As a forever-chapped lips sufferer, I love thick lip balms that does not melt once applied to my lips. That's why I dislike most lip balms out there that give me slippery/silky feel because it never truly protects my lips from getting chapped again. This one is like a warm coat, it heals and hydrates and is a guarantee of soft, kissable lips that are plump and gorgeous everytime I use it. Tastes citrus-y, love it!

One Love Organics Apple a Day Brightening Cleanser

I think foaming cleansers are fun! But we always associate it with dryness and tightness on the skin afterwards, I definitely do not want that as well. This one is different, I actually love it a lot. Ignore your perception of foaming cleansers being harsh for a moment because truly, this one gently cleanses my skin without any irritation whatsoever. Apple a Day is designed to contain a number of acids so that it clarifies, tones and generally perks up your skin leaving it clean and clear. I would use it as a second cleanser because it does not remove make up & sunscreen well. The scent is fresh cut apples! Very One Love Organics that always satisfies my sweet love craving.

One Love Organics Grapefruit Toner

This one goes straight into my next empty series because I only have a few uses of this left before it's all gone. I like its astringent properties, although honestly.. it takes awhile for me to get used to the grapefruit scent (I always associate it with cleaning products). In combination with the cleanser, I feel like they work in conjunction to make my pores cleaner and skin clearer.

Yuli Cell Perfecto PM

It was difficult to fall in love with this one. I bought it half a year ago, but was dealing with congestion outbreak and then I stopped using it. I went back to using it again but saw no difference and that repeated for a couple of times. But now I love it! I realized I had misconducted the instruction where it says to concentrate on the affected area. I am so used to my guts telling me to only use 2 drops of facial oil/serum all over the face and that's why I saw an underwhelming effect on my skin. I now apply 2 drops to EACH affected area and massage it well. There's always a scare of applying too much but after a month of doing so.. the concentration never breaks me out and instead, I always see my scars lightening up use after use. I have a feeling this baby is here to stay in my 'emergency' cabinet. I'm going to experiment next on the deep scar that I've got after scraping my ankle on a sharp metal (yup).

Sukin Spray Deodorant

I don't really experience bad smelling armpits on daily basis on myself (hopefully), and I can get away from not wearing deodorant sometimes. I usually resort to my Lavanilla's deodorant which I have liked for quite awhile but I love the convenience of a deodorant spray. It does not feel sticky, smells delicious (vanilla + mandarin + lavender.. Sukin range classic scent, a bit reminiscence of Lina Hanson body oil smell!), you would just LOVE it for your armpits seriously. It makes my armpits smooth in comparison to using cream deodorant. If I don't sweat, the scent stays on my armpit subtly which I looove! but if I sweat, this does not cause my armpits to smell too.





Non-beauty favorites: 

I have actually finished three books this month despite the fact that I have been quite occupied. Reading has always been a good distraction though and books that stood out for me this month is Gone Girl and Norwegian Wood. Gone Girl was a must-read for me before watching the movie, I was so hooked to both and giggled the whole way through at how dysfunctional everything is. Norwegian Wood on the other hand, is something that I had to re-read so that I could discuss the ending with a friend. Both books can easily be categorized into my favorite story plots of all time!

Glasshouse triple scented candles are my favorite ever ever ever! The scent fills up the room so well so what you've paid for is so worth it. They're not that expensive in the first place given their quality. Glasshouse uses non-toxic & food grade wax although their fragrances might be a mixed of natural and synthetic. I have repurchased Manhattan/Little Black Dress and Marseille/Gardenia multiple times already and have always had pleasant experience with them. Featured is mini Manhattan which falls under "floral" fragrance but I would say it is muskier.. I could really smell the base of Sandalwood and Musk with a balance of berries, leaves and citrus notes. Nothing else smells as luxurious and sexy as this, it is such a unique fragrance perfect to warm up the room when it's cold outside or when you want to have a formal candlelight ambiance.

15 comments :

  1. OLO never fails to impress! Need to try some Yuli for myself soon, the Cell Perfecto PM sounds like a huge hit. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried a few OLO products that can easily become my basic items in my routine. I can't wait to try more from them. Yuli is an excellent brand, I notice a fast improvement with Cell Perfecto PM although it took a bit of time to get used to it. Thanks for dropping by xo

      Delete
  2. Great choices Yuli and Indah are on my wishlist Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indah is such a beautiful Australian range of aromatherapy being incorporated into hand & body products. That Zen balm and the hand & body balm in Paradise are my top choices! Their coconut oil is also the best quality I find, tastes so delicious. Thanks for dropping by, hope you get to try Yuli and Indah soon xx

      Delete
  3. I tried the other OLO cleanser - Easy Does It(?) and couldn't quite decide what I thought. The citrus scents running through the line are gorgeous though! I've only heard about Gone Girl the film, but I'm interested to find out more about the book. Thanks for the recommendation! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Easy Does It cleanser yet, but I'm hoping it will be the replacement when Apple a Day runs out (noo!). Yeah, OLO seems to have their own scent, it's always so citrusy, whimsical and just so fresh. Have you tried ED4OLO products? They're also amazing.

      Both Gone Girl film and book are so intensely good. Even if you find it predictable, you just love how the story unfolds from one chapter to the next. The amount of details that have gone into the book especially, will make you play detective.The author has made the plot really come alive, so exciting to read! I really recommend it.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I too have the Yuli Cell Perfecto, but I'm not seeing the results. Can I ask how you're applying it? They say to apply it on skin while its damp with their toner. Do you do this, or do you apply it on dry skin? I have been applying it when my skin is a little damp after spraying with thermal water. I apply a light layer of cell perfecto all over the skin first, then massage extra drops in targeted areas where I need the most help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I was just like you, not seeing results even though I allowed enough time for it (like a month) but I still did not see a change - more even skin tone though. I then went experimenting to apply it 2 drops to each affected area instead of using 3 drops for all over the face like a normal facial oil. So I apply mine to my cheekbones and lower jawlines where I get the most scarring and discoloration possibly due to acne and sun. So that's 2 drops each area, and I would massage it / work it gently on damp skin (I spray a simple facial toner like thermal water or pure floral water to dampen).

      So don't apply it all over the face if you don't really need it. It is a really effective serum for skin discoloration but there needs to be commitment and patience. If you find that you need extra hydration, you can wait for a little longer for the serum to sink in and then apply your choice of moisturizer on top, whether it be facial oil or a cream. It's a tip I received from Yuli and Amazingy :)

      Usually after applying Cell Perfecto, I spritz with Cocoon Elixir since I find the serum to be OK for hydration but I need something a little extra so Cocoon is perfect for that - it is floral water but it has aloe vera and glycerin to hold moisture.

      I hope this has answered your question and good luck!

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, I need to try some Yuli products! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, thank you for reading. Yuli is a fantastic brand. Hope you're well xx

      Delete
  6. I have a love-hate relationship with Cell Perfecto - not sure why! I like Yuli ME Skin Fuel though. Finished up a bottle last year and would like to repurchase in the future.

    I have almost finished up my OLO Chia Whip cleanser and will be moving to the Apple a Day next (although I have already tried it and enjoyed it). I use their foaming cleansers only in the morning due to their gentleness. My favourite evening cleanse is OLO Skin Savior followed by OLO Easy Does It.

    Agree with the Nuxe - lovely matte-looking lip balm with citrusy scent.

    Cheers,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see notice a difference in your skin while you're using Cell Perfecto, Yvonne? It was particularly a difficult serum to 'get to know', applying oil only on affected area is not that convenient for me.. but I like the result. I just received a little sample vial of Yuli Me Skin Fuel, I cannot wait to try it out since most people are loving it. I've been using up a good sample of Liquid Courage though (about 3 weeks), I realllly want to purchase the full size, I love it!!

      Hows the Chia Whip Cleanser in comparison to Apple a Day? We do the same, I use it for my morning cleanse most time as well for the same reason. It is so gentle, isn't it?! It wasn't what I thought it was.. (astringent). I was thinking of getting Easy Does It as a replacement once it runs out instead of Chia Whip, would you recommend?

      Delete
    2. I did notice an improvement with Cell Perfecto but felt I couldn't use it too often or else the affected area would then get worse - sounds a bit strange. Skin Fuel was a really nice oil. I thought the scent a little strange at first because it was peppery, but grew to enjoy it.

      In terms of OLO cleansers, Chia Whip is almost exactly the same as Apple a Day except it has no scent and feels a tad more nourishing. I much prefer Easy Does It as I thinks it's better at cleansing yet won't strip skin. I also like the faint apple scent. It's also versatile as you can wash hair and use it as a body cleanser, which would be convenient for travelling (but I haven't tried it for either).

      Yvonne

      Delete
  7. I love One Love Organics and YÜLI! Great picks as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished Dark Places while flying home for thanksgiving. Actually, I was flying home to Missouri, which appears in all of her books and my hometown actually got a mention, haha! Highlight reccomend it!

    ReplyDelete